Thursday, May 22, 2008
Florentine Mac and Cheese
This is a Rachel Ray recipe. Very tasty and a great way to eat your spinach. Give it a try and let me know how yours turns out!
Florentine Mac & Cheese
1 lb corkscrew pasta
2 boxes frozen spinach
3 Tb butter
2 Tb all-purpose flour
1 c chicken stock
1 c whole milk
1 c grated Parmesan
1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
1. Boil pasta. Strain pasta reserving 1 cup cooking liquid.
2. Defrost spinach in microwave.
3. In a medium sauce pot over medium heat, melt butter, whisk in flour, cook 1 minute then whisk in stock and milk, season with salt,
pepper and nutmeg and thicken for 5 to 6 minutes.
4. Stir in Parmesan and reduce heat on lowest setting.
5. Wring spinach completely dry in clean towel then separate as you add it to the sauce. Also add the reserved 1 cup pasta cooking liquid.
6. Toss pasta with the spinach-white sauce and adjust seasonings. (I added garlic, of course - I LOVE it.)
Ben said this dish reminded him of Spinach Dip with pasta in it. I think he nailed it on the head!