Wednesday, April 30, 2008
I am having fun playing with these right now...so much fun that I am considering starting a "Blog Makeover" business. Two of my friends actually paid someone to do this for them. They looked great and inspired me to play with my own (I am too cheap to pay someone else). Plus I LOVE doing anything creative and artsy. My friend Jessa asked me to help her with her new blog...and let's just say I got carried away. Maybe I will quit my job and start revamping blogs from home at $20 a pop! It's seriously an idea for when Ben and I have kids and I want to stay home with the young 'uns. But for now, it's just a hobby...
"I can't go get our coke's now!", I explained. He laughed and told me to go sit with our friends Ron and Sonya and he would take care of it. So I took my seat next to Sonya and excitedly reported the good news to them as well. No one else seemed to understand my excitement. Oh they found it quite amusing, but did not share in it, per say. Apparently I am the only person in Alabama that followed the show this season! Grrr... I was not going to let everyone else's mediocre enthusiasm ruin my day. So, after a little encouragement, I decided to go to his table and talk to him! I apologized for interrupting his lunch and congratulated him on his accomplishments on the show. I told him I was a huge fan and had to come over and tell him how proud Alabama was of him! (again, I am nerd!). He was very nice as were his wife and son. In all of my anxiety, I forgot to get a picture with them! Oh well...it was still a pretty good day for me! I get starstruck pretty easily...obviously.
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
- Meeting semi-famous people. Watch for upcoming blog for more information on this topic.
- Living close to my family...this is not something I have the luxury of enjoying right now. But the longer I am away from home, the more I realize how nice it is to have your family near you.
- My CORE Group. The next best thing to living near my family!
- Jane Austen. I am rereading some of her stuff right now. I am always so amazed at how sarcastic Miss Jane was for her time. I think we would have been great friends!
- Home Goods. Why even shop at a department store? Seriously - cuter stuff at better prices at the good ol' HG.
- The Office. I know I have said it before, but I am so glad this show is back! Thursday's are now my new favorite day of the week!
- Jim 'N Nicks Queso Dip. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! The queso is delicious, but mix it with pico de gallo and OH MAN!
- Bookstores. I love the combined smell of books and the coffee, the magazines, and of course the endless supply of books! My favorite section - the Clearance Hard Backs, of course!
- Kraft Food Magazine. Do you get this? If not, you should definitely subscribe! It's free and it's full of great tips and recipes for low cost meals!
- Oatmeal cookies. Paired with a tall cup of coffee they make a yummy breakfast!
Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Monday, April 21, 2008
- Pablo's Mexican Restaurant (on Hwy 150 and in the Colonade). I love their Chili Colorado. It is even better the next day, all mixed up and eaten like dip with tortilla chips...yum!
- Linen Napkins
- The Southern Sisters Mystery Series by Anne George
- Frozen Key Lime Pie. I have the best recipe thanks to Barefoot Contessa!
- Fried Ravioli. Another great recipe that is as easy as it is good.
- Growing your own herbs, tomatoes and flowers.
- Homemade Salad Dressing
- Bakerella Blog
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Just finished this book last night. It was wonderful. I read it in 3 days because I couldn't put it down. It's one of those books where you are sad it's over because you miss the characters. Now, I will warn you this is not exactly a G-rated book...
Water for Elephants is the story of Jacob's life with this circus. Sara Gruen spares no detail in chronicling the squalid, filthy, brutish circumstances of circus life during prohibition. The animals are mangy, underfed or fed rotten food, and abused and the people are even worse. Jacob is a 21 year old recently orphanned veterinary student at Cornell. When a car accident simultaneously kills his parents he is unable to sit for his exams and runs off with the circus. Once it becomes known that he has veterinary skills, is put in charge of the "menagerie" and all its ills. He also becomes the self-appointed Protector of the Downtrodden, and... he falls in love along the way.
I am not usually a fan of gore or depressing situations, but this book reeled me in from the beginning and I would recommend it to anyone that wouldn't be offended by a touch of "reality".
Monday, April 14, 2008
- Mango Mint Candles from Bath and Body Works. So fresh and so clean, clean.
- Rock of Love. the finale was last night and I miss those skanks (sorry, that was mean) already!
- Ginger. To eat and to smell. This may be my new favorite scent...watch out, Jasmine I think you've been replaced.
- Dave Ramsey. Uber organized skills that make/save you money - right up my alley!
- The Biggest Loser. The finale is tomorrow night...go Ali!
- Gain Detergent. Laundry has never smelled better.
- Coupons. See Dave Ramsey about this one.
- Sweet Tea. Especially Milo's. But mine ain't so bad either.
- Burt's Bees. Minty fresh and oh, so soft lips!
- Microsoft Publisher. I really don't think I would know how to meal plan with out my special menus!
Saturday, April 12, 2008
Friday, April 11, 2008
I could have handled a little more Dwight, and would have liked to spend a little more time in the Dunder Mifflin office though. I am looking forward to next week's episode:
Michael's fascination with a woman modeling a chair in an office supply catalog makes him feel things he hasn't felt in a while. With Michael distracted, Kevin and Andy team up to win back Dunder Mifflin's stolen parking spaces, forcing them into a showdown with the bosses of the five businesses of the office park. - Sounds like a good one!
FYI: Jenna Fischer is on Leno tonight. I will be DVR'ing it since that is past my bedtime. I'm lame, I know...
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
Supper Club was founded in May of 2005 by four single girls all living in the greater Birmingham area, all single and all followers of Christ who decided to devote one night a week to spending time together in prayer and in food! It was a huge blessing for a girl like me, who was new to the area and desperately needed gal pals. Who knew these girls would become my rocks? We have been through a lot together and I can't imagine going through the past 3 years without them. We have had countless shopping extravagnanzas, traveled together to fun places, seen each other through break ups AND weddings.
I am so thankful for these ladies and for the glue that holds us together - SUPPER CLUB!
Monday, April 7, 2008
Obviously, God, my husband, my family and friends, and my cat are ALWAYS on my list. But I am also thankful for...
1. Blogs, of course! I am really enjoying the inspiration I get out reading other peoples thoughts and ideas. This is a great outlet for spiritual matters, crafting, cooking, daily events, etc. Can't get enough!
2. Mommas-to-Be. With babies popping up everywhere around me lately I am more and more amazed at the wonder of pregnancy. It is amazing what all happens when that bun is in the oven. Definitely makes me look forward to going through that process one day in the not so near future.
3. Martha Stewart. She is quirky, yes. But she shares her ideas with the mass public and has brought crafting, cooking, and homemaking back into style and for that I love her.
4. Country Time Lemonade. So cheap, so easy and oh so refreshing.
5. Cupcakes. New obsession. See previous blog.
6. Scherenschnitte. For those of you who do not know what this is, check out Cindy's blog. I haven't tried it yet, but I would love to have a party where we try our hands at it. Let me know if you are interested.
7. Supper Club. See upcoming blog for more information on this topic.
8. Birds chirping. There is something about that sound in the morning that makes me want to get out of bed and skip through a meadow somewhere.
9. The color yellow. There was a day when I was afraid to wear this color because of my blond hair. Not the case anymore! In fact, every time I bring home a new top Ben says, "Don't you already have 17 other tops that exact same color?"
10. Big gold earrings. Especially in a tear drop shape. Fun and flattering and they go great with all my yellow tops.
Saturday, April 5, 2008
Only 4 more loads to wash and 8 more to fold! I MIGHT make it to Amanda's for dinner by 6:30?
Friday, April 4, 2008
This cupcake was covered in green nerds and sliced up orange tootsie rolls to resemble a moundful of peas and carrots. This may be the only way I would ever get Ben to eat either of these vegetables!
Here are some of my other favorites from her contest for "The Cutest Cupcake"...