Saturday, January 1, 2011

Resolved Resolutions?

Along with everyone else last year, I made a few resolutions. I am usually not very good at keeping them but I think I did pretty good obtaining some of my goals considering I was busy having a baby for most of the year. It was fun to look back at my list and realize that some things had actually come to fruition and the ones that hadn't were still weighing on my heart and mind. Here's a look back on how I did...


1) Get healthy. Another year of promises...hopefully not so empty this time around. My mom gave me an elliptical (Thank you, Mom!). It is upstairs in my very own house. I don't even have to brush my teeth to get to it. No excuse can keep me from working out this time around. None. Except laziness. Let's say 30 minutes a day 4-5 days a week. To start.
OBJECTIVE: to get healthy, weight loss will be a bonus.

Achieved: Nothing. I have an excuse though. I was pregnant for most of the year. We found out we were expecting on February 15. While I should have been able to keep working out, the fact that I was extremely sick during the first half of my pregnancy prevented me from doing much of anything, let alone work out.  I have lost all of my baby weight though. Only because I only gained 13 pounds - and all of those and more came off the day he was born. I still have LOTS more to lose. As I like to say, I gained all of my baby weight when we got married. So I still need to get my "married weight" off.

2) Home Projects.
A) Paint - A room. Any room. I have several on my list, but I am scared of color. Maybe doing one room will take the edge off? One room painted - the nursery. Not what I had in mind when I listed this goal, but it works for me!
B) Window Treatments - Dining Room, Master Bedroom, Master Bath and Living Room. Dining Room and Living Room now have window treatments. Along with the office, nursery and new guest bedroom. Still lacking in the Master Bedroom and Bath.
C) Hang Family Photos - Hopefully along the staircase. Still haven't done this. But I have purchased some frames and have quite a collection of photos of the cutest baby ever ready to be hung.
D) Furniture - Bedroom, Buffet, Chairs for LR and bookcases for our ever growing collection of books and DVD's. We have a new chair in the LR and 4 new bookcases for books and DVD's. But no buffet and no new bedroom furniture. Again, I am going to play the baby card. Most of home improvement money went to doing a nursery. Our bedroom has definitely taken a back seat to his.
E) Rugs - Living Room and Dining Room. The Living Room has a rug, but not the Dining Room.

3) Daily Quiet Time. I fantasize about being the type of person that gets up early in the morning, puts on a fresh pot of coffee, runs 30 minutes on the elliptical, showers, makes her bed and reads her daily devotional all before the rooster crows. But as my poor husband can attest, I am by no means a morning person. By NO means. So if I can just accomplish these things before the days is over I will consider myself on the ball!
MAIN OBJECTIVE: Daily Quiet Time. In the Word and in Prayer.
I have done this, but not in the way I planned. Instead, Ben and I have a devotional every night (not in the morning) and then spend time in prayer. I received the book Jesus Calling for Christmas and am going to use that to help me spend some one on one time with God. Being home from work for the past 3 months, I actually have started making our bed. Let's see if that keeps up.

4) Love. Isn't this what Jesus is asking us to do? I love Him. I really do. But do I love Him enough to love His people? Not the people that are easy to love; i.e. my husband, family and friends. All people. This includes bad drivers, inconsiderate individuals, arrogant folks and even loud eaters...everyone. This is a life long journey. But I plan to be extra aware of this calling this year. Well, this is a tough one. Will I ever be at a place where I can say that I have obtained this? Doubt it. I am and always will be a work in progress. But I am constantly aware of this calling and try to make a conscious effort to do this. I am much better at it than I was this time last year. I would say that is a success.

By far, I am most proud of this achievement:

How did you do on your resolutions?

No comments: