Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy LOVE Day

First of all, "Happy Valentine's Day!"

My thoughts on Valentine's Day are this...I like Valentine's Day...I don't LOVE Valentine's Day. I have always thought it is a fun excuse to do something romantic for your sweety but that it is a little over-commercialized and maybe even over-rated. However, my hubby has done such a darn good job of making this holiday special that I am starting to rethink its importance.

Our first Valentine's Day he took me to Savannah!


We stayed at the beautiful Foley House Inn (above). It was directly across the street from the bench Forrest Gump sat on! Probably my favorite trip ever. Seriously. It even gives our honeymoon a run for it's money! We are planning to go back for our first anniversary. Can't wait!

For our second Valentine's Day, Ben surprised me with tickets to see Norah Jones. I love her. Her music is so funky and romantic at the same time. It was perfect for this holiday. Another great gift!

And finally, this year Ben got me antique nest and egg prints. I have been eyeing them for almost a year. We found them while antiquing in Homewood at Tricia's Treasures one day last spring. I loved the soft blues and beiges. There were no prices on them but I thought, "They're old pages torn from a book. How much can they be?" So I picked out six of my favorites and took them to the counter. When they told me they were $60 each, I decided I would wait.I went home and did a little research. They are actually pages from a book by Reverend F.O. Morris from 1861. The nests are Hand-Colored Lithographs. Pretty rare. I looked on EBay to find they were only more expensive there. So I waited some more. But Ben decided I had waited long enough and surprised me with them this year for Valentine's Day! I am so glad he did...now I can't wait to get them framed and hung in my dining room!This is one of my favorites. It is the nest and egg of a Yellow Hammer. Being an Alabama fan, I couldn't resist it! "Rammer Jammer, Yellow Hammer. Give 'em Hell, Alabama!"


I look forward to many more Valentine's Day with my sweet and romantic husband!

No comments: