Now this is frustrating for several reasons.
1) We aren't even all the way moved in yet.
2) We have been battling them all week and now they have invaded my sacred food haven.
3) My husband is a bug freak. He HATES them. It is his mission in life to kill them. All of them. He has been a little army man patrolling the house armed with a bottle of Windex (his weapon of choice) ever since he spotted the first one.
We are trying to determine our long term plan of action.
I have been given a list of household remedies to try:
- Sprinkle cinnamon where you see ants congregating to get them to back off speedily.
- Fill a squirt bottle with plain white vinegar or 50% apple cider vinegar and 50% water and spray down surfaces where you see ants a few times a day.
- Sprinkle black pepper wherever the ants are marching, taking care to find their entry/exit point and sprinkle pepper in that crack as well.
- Shaklee’s Basic H (a nontoxic soap made of soybeans) can be watered down and sprayed where ants are entering/exiting to keep them at bay (this formula may bubble paint so it’s best to use it on counters and other soap & water friendly surfaces).
- Placing bay leaves in corners and cracks where ants emerge can immediately run them off (and they can be left behind canisters and in corners for long-term ant repelling).
- Substituting garlic cloves for bay leaves is also said to work.
- Spray them with Windex. Kills them immediately but does not deter them from coming back.
- Spray exterior of house with Listerine. Do this around the foundation and it is said to keep them away for 2 weeks.
I'll let you know how it all works out.