Friday, April 1, 2011

Asher - 5 Months

This post is extra long with lots of photos and videos. I guess that is what happens when you try to cram a month worth of blogging into one post.

At 5 months old, Asher weighs 17 lbs (75th percentile), wears size 6-9 months (in most brands), size 2 diapers, and takes five 6 ounce bottles plus 1 Tb rice cereal a day. We just started rice cereal the day he turned 5 months old (March 17). Not surprisingly, our little piggy caught on quickly and does a pretty darn good job of eating from a spoon. His first taste of it was a little iffy - he wasn't sure what was on his tongue. We laughed at the face he made and true to form, our little entertainer kept eating it to make us laugh. He thought it was hilarious! I am so glad we caught it on video.



Click here to see the video of him eating cereal for the first time.

This is Asher eating oatmeal for the first time.




His whole face lights up when he smiles. I love how he smiles with his mouth open. He has made many people's day by lighting up when he sees them. He has just started smiling with his mouth closed and it is usually only when he is eating. But it is equally adorable.


He is becoming such a "little person". He is developing an opinion on many topics and has learned how to let you know when he does or does not like something. He currently LOVES attention. He enjoys being sang to (and you may call it wishful thinking, but I swear he likes Elvis the best! He gets quiet every time I sing Fools Rush In.) Some of our other favorite songs are "To Make You Feel My Love" by Adele, "Lullaby" by the Dixie Chicks "When You Say Nothing at All" by Allison Kraus and "Your Song" by Elton John.

He gets tickled when I give him Eskimo kisses and will smile and scrunch up his little nose until I do it again.

He is becoming more independent and while he still loves to be cuddled he likes his Asher time too. When he doesn't want to be held anymore, he will arch his back likes he wants off of your lap. He really enjoys his jumparoo/exersaucer and can entertain himself in it for quite some time. He can even reach the bottom with his feet now and it won't be long before he figures out how to bounce. But for now, he just plays with the toys and chews on anything that will reach his little mouth. When he is ready to get out he will whine and hold his arms straight out - I'm thinking he may be trying to figure out how to reach for us but hasn't learned how to control his arms enough just yet. He will do the same thing when he wants out of his high chair.


He is trying to learn to blow raspberries. Sometimes it even works.



He is fascinated with his hands. He will wave them in the air and stare at them. It is pretty amusing because it looks like he is checking his manicure. It must be helping his hand control he because has come a long way in the past month. He can pick up something he wants and bring it to his mouth. He can put his hand on my face when he is eating. And he can almost hold his bottle.

He is a noise maker. He loves the sound of his own voice and will babble incessantly. He looks right at Ben and I and babbles like he is telling us a story. I'm thinking we may have us a little talker on our hands.


He wakes up so happy. Getting him out of bed is one of the highlights of my day.


His recognition skills are spot on. When he sees his bottle he gets so excited. He starts smacking his lips and squirming. We can't get that thing in his mouth fast enough! He loves my iPhone and knows the clicking sound it makes when I wake it up. As soon as he hears that noise, he starts looking for it. I usually look at it while I am feeding him and I have to hold the phone up so he can see it too or else I have a hard time keeping the bottle in his mouth due to him turning his head in the direction of the phone.

He loves watching TV. No matter where he is in the room, he will turn to see the television.



He still isn't too interested in rolling over. Which is fine with me - I can put him in the middle of our bed and as long as he can reach his feet, he is one happy little guy. He knows how to go from side to side, but can't seem to get all the way over yet.

I really cannot express how much joy this little guy brings to our lives. His smile can warm my heart like nothing else. Ben and I are enamored with him. He is so precious and we thank God for him every day.

Check out how my little guy is growing into a big little guy:









1 comment:

McKinney Madness said...

I just love reading how your little munchkin is growing. I honestly feel like we should still be pregnant. How can they be 4 and 5 months old already?? Asher is so adorable, and I love seeing him at church! ST does, too!